Monday, November 23, 2009

Cold Vs. Cold Blooded - Acts of Kindness & Their Importance

Cold Vs. Cold Blooded - Acts of Kindness & Their Importance

It was the month of December and all of us were shivering with cold. We had to wear two to three layers of body warmers, sweaters etc to keep out the cold.     

On one such terribly cold evening, the doorbell rang and I opened the door to find an old acquaintance come to visit. She had brought her house help too. The lady was aptly dressed for the winters. She sat in my living room and asked her maid to wait outside on the verandah. I had noticed the poor woman was shivering since she had no woolens on. After chatting for a while, I asked the maid to come and sit inside since it was very cold and windy outside. I started going to the kitchen to make tea when the visitor stopped me saying her maid would do the same.

I followed the maid to the kitchen and showed her where the tea leaves, sugar etc. were kept. I came back and asked my guest why was it that her companion was not wearing even one shawl in this cold. She replied with a sarcastic expression on her face. “I give her so many, you know, but how much can I give. She passes on the clothes to her daughters. Let her be, you don’t need to worry.”


No comments:

Followers