Monday, March 08, 2010

Article About Plight of Women : The Princess and the Burden - Women in Marriage and Society

The Princess and the Burden - Women in Marriage and Society

As a young captain in the army, my duties included attending to officers, other ranks, and their families in the MI (Medical Inspection) room. Several of my patients got to know me rather well and opened up to me.Sunita, a newly-wed, lively, warm young Bengali lady talked a lot to me and referred to me as elder sister. One of my saddest moments was when I carried Sunita’s burnt body in my arms in a helicopter to a big hospital in a nearby town. She did not survive. An official probe revealed foul play on the part of her in-laws.

We must ask ourselves whether we are a nation of exemplary citizens where each of us parents has the courage and sensitivity to make our own little daughter feel like a princess and protect her with all our might. Or are we a nation of criminals where we just shrug off another murder and say ‘the girl was merely a burden?”


Also read: Inspirational Musing - Woman
http://www.contentwriter.in/articles/musings/woman.htm

More Poems in English & Hindi

Inviting all story tellers to share their children stories, short stories and poems with us!
To contribute a poem to contentwriter.in, click here

No comments:

Followers