Monday, April 12, 2010

The Beckoning of Home : Remembering Kolkata - New Musing on Contentwriter.in

The Beckoning of Home : Remembering Kolkata - New Musing on Contentwriter.in

As I awoke by the warm sunlight, the pain inside me still lingered - the pain of leaving home and coming miles away in the lure of a career. It is hardly a day I have reached the city of Bangalore, after bidding adieu to my hometown, Kolkata. I could not have felt more pensive for my parents as I felt, for my own city; that has seen me growing up, which I regard as the most beautiful place on the earth. It has seen me grow into an adult from an adolescent and a lady, eventually. It has made me learn quite a lot in terms of love and sacrifice, and taught me to distinguish between good and bad. 

Distinct are the days in my memory when my mother and me used to go for a lazy walk in the lawn of the pristine Victoria Memorial in those early mornings, the grass still wet and people of all ages gathered for a dose of early morning gossip with tea.

Herein, one can find the importance of the quintessential ‘adda’ in an average, middle-class Bengali’s life. Storming the tea- tables over myriad issues as diverse as dowry and euthanasia, the concept of ‘adda’ is still alive in almost all Bengali souls till date, much to my joy.


No comments:

Followers