Tuesday, May 01, 2012

The Unfortunate Beggar - True Inspiring Tale, India

The Unfortunate Beggar - True Inspiring Tale, India

This is an incident I remember from my childhood. I must have been 5 or 6 years old. We used to live in a large, 3 storeyed house on Landsdowne Road in Kolkata, then known as Calcutta.

There was a small garden which led to the main gate of the house. A guard or darban as he was known then was always at the gate. As I stood on our verandah, I could see vendors stopping at our main gate selling all kind of wares while calling loudly. 

An ice cream man came everyday selling Magnolia Ice cream. As soon as he used to see me, running towards the gate with some coins tucked safely in my fist, his weather beaten face used to break into smiles of joy.


No comments:

Followers